I had this really cool vanity that I got a while back. On a whim, I painted it red one day and didn't really bother to do it the right way. I didn't even put poly on it. Not a good idea! In about a month, the paint was chipping and the top was stained from all my mineral makeup! I never really liked the red anyways, so I decided to re-do it again.
I then used a stripping formula on the top part. The red came off pretty easy, and the white underneath (the color it was when I got it) took some elbow grease, but it wasn't too bad either. What I wasn't prepared for was the 4 other layers of paint and stain under that. It seems whoever had this before me took my original approach to re-furnishing. Just paint over it and get on with life!
It took about 3 more applications of stripper and a lot of sanding, but I finally got it down to the bare wood. There were a few pesky places that didn't want to come up, but that actually made it look kind of cool.
Once I got it down to the bare wood, I stained it with a Dark Walnut stain and then put 2 layers of poly on it! Now the top is nice and smooth!
For the rest all I did was spray paint the bottom half with this fun Valspar color and then distress and glaze it to give it a shabby look!
I really like the way it came out and I think it will hold up this time! I am glad I took the time to do it the right way!